Last updated on 28-Aug-2019
Hello, VHPs (Viva Happy Peeps)!
Stroganoff has been one of my favourite dishes ever since I can remember. It’s very common in Brazil, and I’ve seen and tried many different variations/recipes. I loved when my mom made it, and it was usually reserved for special meals. It was one of the first recipes I learned in my early incursions into the kitchen and then started making my own way.
The recipe I used to make included thick cream (crème fraîche or whipping cream) and meat, and when I came across a dairy-free version I was skeptical, but the rich creaminess I get from this vegan recipe is so satisfying and the option to make it with only mushrooms is so delicious, that I really don’t miss the meat or the dairy! I’ll also mention that we are not vegans, and not even fully vegetarians at this point, but we’ve been trying to limit our consumption of animal products and this is a delicious way to do that. My hubby loved it so much that he says he actually prefers this recipe over the dairy + meat version. Now, that’s an endorsement!
This stroganoff is very easy to make and a great option for #meatlessmonday or to serve to company. Hope you’ll give it a try and come back to tell us how you like it. 🙂
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms (cut in half)
- 1 cup raw cashews (soak for 1 h in cold water)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon (juiced, optional)
- Sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot. Add the onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an extra 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for a few minutes until softened. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper (optional).
- Meanwhile, in a high-speed blender, puree the drained cashews with the can of coconut milk until smooth and creamy.
- Add the paprika and tomato sauce along with the cashew mixture to the mushrooms in the pot, and let it simmer until thickened (about 5-6 minutes).
- Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed. Add the mustard and lemon juice. Enjoy!
To keep the meal low-carb, serve with cauliflower rice and a side salad, or zucchini noodles. Brazilians like to serve it with plain rice and potato sticks (like these), but the stroganoff can also be served over regular cooked noodles.
Mixed mushrooms, chopped hearts of palm, or mock meat also work well for this vegan recipe.
The same dairy-free stroganoff sauce can be used with chicken, beef, or shrimp.